Photosafari in Forollhogna National Park
Excursions for professional and hobby photographers
Taking photos in Forollhogna National park can be a memory of life. With great herds of the wild reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) and an intact nature in this mountain plateau you have possibilities to shot good photo's for your album.
Forollhogna is spoken for as probably one of the best locations in the world for taking photos of wild reindeer.
We strongly recommend the use of local guides for helping with organization and fieldwork. Local knowledge and access to local news of location of the animals is crucial. To give you an offer, the guides need to know your time of arrival, how many you are, for how many days you are staying and your need of support.
Show respect to the caribou:
- Plan your trip well, think also of your own safety.
- You are a guest in nature - act in harmony with nature! Remember that the caribou are particularly vulnerable during winter and spring.
- Do not disturb the animal - do not go closer than 200 meters
- When you see the wild animals - sit still, be quiet and you will be able to photograph the deer's natural behavior. Let reindeer move away without being disturbed by you.
- Act not in large groups.
- Keep dogs on a leash.
- By photos and postcards locally, instead of taking your own photos!
Season for reindeer: 15.th May - 19.th August, 21.th September - 15.th April. Mating season is in the end of September and to the first week of October.
Restrictions: During calving-season no organized trips or activity is allowed between 15.th April and 15.th May. Also in hunting season, 20.th August - 20.th September photographers must show concern for the movement of the animals.
For self organized trips you need a license from local authority. For using plane you need special permisions.
If you plan to do your phototrip in wintertime, you will need minimum 4-5 days, because of long distances of skiing and closed mountain roads. Locating animals this time of year can be hard. Mountain roads are open aprox. from 15.th of June until end of October.
Blog of wildlife photographer Vincent Munier at Wild Wonders of Europe. He visited Forollhogna from 16th of September to 4th of October 2008.
One of the companies that can help you in the mountains are Vingelen Mountain Guide Association.